Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Back To Blogging

For a variety of reasons (including more work duties, among them project management and more web content writing), I haven't blogged in a while. But I need to start blogging again.

To help me get started and provide a framework for my blog, I'm going to study again and take my framework from William Zinsser's On Writing Well and Strunk and White's Elements of Style. And I'd like to bring the quiz back, tho' perhaps with one or two questions at the end of each blog.

William Zinsser discusses simplicity in chapter two of On Writing Well. Why clog up the piece with too many words that obscures the meaning and makes the reader impatient? The reader
is more likely to finish a clearly written piece than a difficult one. Strunk and White point out that the passive voice, negative or noncommittal statements, too many loose sentences, and simply too many words for the meaning makes writing too complicated (18-25).

QUIZ

1. Make this sentence more concise: "My first visit to Boston will always be remembered by me" (Strunk and White 18).

2. What novel includes the characters Mr. Skimpole, Mr. Krook, Miss Flite, Mr. Carstone,
and Mr. Bucket?

No comments:

Post a Comment