Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Literary Quizzes--The Brontës' Novels

Quiz 1: The Brontës' Novels

1. What book did John Reed throw at Jane Eyre?

2. What type of product did Robert Moore's factory produce?

3. For whom does Lucy Snowe work before she goes to Villette?

4. What does Frances Henri teach when William Crimsworth meets her?

5. What book of Catherine's does Lockwood read at Wuthering Heights?

6. What is the name of the first family for whom Agnes Grey works?

7. How does Helen make a living when she and her son are on their own?

8. What is the alternate name of Moor House?

9. What play do Caroline Helstone and Robert Moore read?

10. Who impersonates the nun in Villette?

Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre Quote Quiz--Identify the speaker

1. " . . . the fire and the chandelier were not sufficient company for me . . . ."

2. "Most things free-born will submit to anything for a salary . . . ."

3. "The human and fallible should not arrogate a power with which the divine and perfect alone can be safely entrusted."

4. "How could I possibly prefer the spoilt pet of a wealthy family, who would hate her governess as a nuisance, to a lonely little orphan who leans toward her as a friend?"

5. "Louisa and I used to quiz our governess too; but she was such a good creature, she would bear anything: nothing put her out. She was never cross with us; was she, Louisa?"

6. "You were born, I think, to be my torment: my last hour is racked by the recollection of a deed which, but for you, I should never have been tempted to commit."

7. "Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!--I have as much soul as you--and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you."

8. "Gentlemen in his station are not accustomed to marry their governesses."

9. "The marriage cannot go on: I declare the existence of an impediment."

10. "They guessed, ma'am: they guessed. Indeed, I should say it was ascertained beyond a doubt. You are not perhaps aware, that there was a lady--a--a lunatic, kept in the house?"

No comments:

Post a Comment